Bannerad

What's New? Page 7

What's New Pages Image
The main purpose of the What's New? pages is to tell you about any news, and any changes, here at Richard's Game Reviews. However, I also use these pages as sort of an online journal; and I sometimes talk about day-to-day things in my personal life too.

I don't post to these pages regularly, or follow any certain schedule. In fact, I have been known not to post here for weeks, and occasionally even for months at a time. As I said in my very first What's New? post: I will post "as the spirit moves me." So, just check in here every once in a while to see if I have anything new to say.

What's New pages:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Friday, March 30, 2012

All of a sudden I am having problems with the vision in my right eye. I go to the eye doctor on Monday. Hopefully everything will turn out okay.

Tuesday, Arpil 3, 2012

Well I got my eye diagnosis. I had an occurrence of what is called Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Yes, it sounds terrible. But as it turns out in my case, and in most people who experience this, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. My initial symptoms were a sudden increase in floaters (a speck that floats about in your field of vision) and flashes of light on the right side of my eye. While the light flashes only occurred on the first day, the floaters still persist. My eye doctor assures me that they will eventually go away and my vision will return to normal. In my case, like most people, there was no tear in the retina and everything will be okay. As it turns out Posterior Vitreous Detachment is a rather common occurrence, especially for people over 50 years of age. Personally I had never heard of it, and I suspect maybe you haven't either. Here is a resource that explains Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Although this usually happens to people age 50 and older, it can also happen to those under 50 too. Of course, whenever you have any changes in your vision is it very important to get your eyes checked as soon as possible by your eye care professional.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Richard's Game Reviews has just reached the milestone of one million pageviews! Thanks everybody for your continued loyalty. I truly do appreciate it!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

I am currently in the middle of doing a complete redesign of Richard's Game Reviews. I really thought that the last design change that I implemented back in January was going to be a big hit. It wasn't. In fact, it has had the opposite effect. I have lost a ton of readers. So, it is back to the drawing board once again. The new design, which I hope to roll out by the end of May or the first week of June, will be a much simpler design without a lot of the bells and whistles that you see on the current design. Hopefully, everyone will enjoy it when it's done. I would like to put it up right away, but first I will need to rewrite more than 350 game posts which is proving to be quite a daunting task. Right now I am only doing partial rewrites. Then later, after the new design is published, I can go back with a fine-toothed-comb and do compete rewrites and get everything just the way I want it. Even with only doing partial rewrites, so far I have only been able to complete about 100 game pages, so it will take at least a few more weeks. What I am basically doing with the new design for the game pages, is moving the actual games themselves below my reviews instead of having them above the review. In the meantime the website is in a little bit of flux, with some of the game pages with rewrites, and most without rewrites. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

I am still working on the redesign of Richard's Game Reviews. Things are moving along, but they are going quite a bit slower than I had hoped they would. Switching over to the new design itself will actually only take a few minutes. It is getting everything ready, so the design change will go as smoothly as possible, is what is taking so long.

Another thing that I want to mention is that I just removed the word verification option for comments. This means that it will no longer be necessary for anyone who is leaving a comment on Richard's Game Reviews to complete a word verification step, as in, type the characters you see in the picture above. Some people know this as CAPTCHA. The reason I am removing this requirement is because I would like to encourage more reader comments. I'll let you in on a little secret, even though it may make me look a little foolish. I have been blogging here on Richard's Game Reviews for almost three years, and I did not discover, until yesterday, that Richard's Game Reviews even had a CAPTCHA system installed. You may be wondering, how could I not have known this? Well, as it turns out, blog authors do not see the word verification for comments. In other words, since I am always signed in to Blogger when I blog, I never saw the CAPTCHA, that is, until yesterday when I happened to be answering a reader question when I was not signed in. Boy, was I surprised! Not only was I surprised that there was a CAPTCHA, but I was especially surprised to see how hard it was to read. Of course, CAPTCHA is nothing new to me. I am certainly used to using CAPTCHA on a regular basis as I surf the web. But this CAPTCHA was particularly bad. I had to refresh the CAPTCHA about three times before I could even read one. So it got me to thinking. I wonder how many reader comments I may have lost over the years because people could not read the CAPTCHA, or they simply became discouraged and left. So, now it's gone! At least for now. Let me explain. There is a legitimate reason for having a CAPTCHA system. It discourages blog spam by preventing automated systems from adding comments to a blog. So I will try it this way for now, and see how it goes. If spam does become a big problem, then unfortunately I would need to bring back the CAPTCHA. But let's all hope that will not be the case.

What's New pages:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

If you enjoyed this post, please take 5 seconds to share it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi What is happening to Worddrop Everytime Isubmit my score it comes up as undefined and there is no leaderboard Do I have to create another account to see the leaderboard and if so how do I do that Can`t see any link for it Help!!
    I play 3 times a day and love your site but may haveto find another

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    First of all, thank you for your question. However, your question does leave me a little bit confused. Here's why. I don't know if you aware of this, but there are actually two different Word Drop games here on Richard's Game Reviews. So I am not really sure which game you are talking about. This is why I always ask people to please leave their questions, or comments, about a game on the same page where the game appears. That way if anyone else has the same question, they can read your comment.

    Anyway, back to your question. If you are asking about the first Word Drop game that only has one level and is this one, you can see the leaderboard, but you will need to scroll down the page quite a ways. And, no, you do not need to have any type of an account to see a leaderboard. It is simply there for everyone to see and use. No type of an account is required to use a leaderboard either, that is, as long as you save your score as a guest. That's the way I always do it. It is simple, and it takes about 3 seconds.

    I will admit that sometimes the leaderboards do not load properly, and you can get an error message where the leaderboard would normally appear. I know this, because it has happened to me on more than one occasion. In fact, it is something of a common occurrence. If this should happen, the best thing to do is to simply refresh the page and this will usually solve the problem of seeing the leaderboard. Even with that being said, if a leaderboard does not load as it should, this has nothing to do with submitting a game score. In other words, if the leaderboard does not appear on the page, or even if I never published the leaderboard, you would still be able to submit your score. The two things are totally separate.

    After reading your question, I did play the Word Drop game mentioned above, the one with only one level of play, and I was able to easily submit my game score with absolutely no problem. So, I can assure you that the game is working fine and you should have no problem submitting your score. If this is the game you were talking about, and if you still do have a problem submitting your score, I have a simple suggestion. Try playing the game one time on a different computer, if you can, and see if that helps. The only thing I can think of would be that perhaps your computer maybe needs something enabled, or it needs some type of a different setting, or something along those lines. But I kind of doubt that.

    Now, if you are talking about the other Word Drop game, the one that has 6 levels of play, and is this one, we are talking about a different situation entirely. I can tell you, for a fact, that this Word Drop game does not have a leaderboard. I know this, because I just double-checked to make sure. Since this game does not have a leaderboard, as far as I know, there would be no way anyone could submit their score. It appears to me, that it is simply is not a feature of this game.

    There is one more thing I want to mention about leaderboards. After I complete the redesign of Richard's Game Reviews, one of the things I am going to do is to create a new game category specifically for leaderboards. It will make things convenient to have all of the leaderboard games in one place. And I will also explain more about leaderboards for people who are not familiar with them.

    Anyway Anonymous, thanks again for your question. I hope my answer helps you. I really do. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

    Richard, from Richard's Game Reviews

    ReplyDelete